GamCare is the leading UK authority on the provision of advice, practical help, support and counseling in addressing the social impact of gambling. GamCare’s aim is not to restrict the choices or opportunities for anyone to operate or engage in gambling opportunities that are available legally and operated responsibly, but to prevent ill-gambling.
Basic strategies elaborated by GamCare are aimed to:
- Improve the understanding of the social impact of gambling;
- Promote a responsible approach to gambling;
- Address the needs of those adversely affected by a gambling dependency.
GamCare operates the national telephone and online help lines for anyone affected by a gambling problem and provides both face to face and online counseling, free to evry client.
GamCare works to support the development and implementation of responsible practice by the gambling industry and recognizes best practice through a Certification scheme. The organization recognizes the importance of acknowledging those gambling services providers that achieve high standards of social responsibility and player protection. GamCare Certification is awarded to both remote and terrestrial gambling companies that have successfully implemented robust policy and practice relevant to their platform and gambling service. GamCare Certification needs to reap tangible benefits not just for the customer but the operator as well. Just some of the benefits include:
- Meet or surpass regulatory conditions;
- Decrease in incidences of problematic gambling and under-age access;
- Strengthening of corporate governance and brand identity;
- Improved customer experience;
- Likely reductions in acquisition and retention costs;
- Reduced potential for dispute;
- Wider organizational ownership and understanding of player protection policies;
- Enhanced customer service skills.
How to Get Certified
To get certified you should apply for a one day staff training course with GamCare. This one day training course gives yours staff an in-sight into the understanding of problem gamblers and what sort of help your staff should be expeted to offer. The issues behind problem gamblinc can be very complex requiring skilled, in-depth treatment, the first real step is for the customer to admit to the problem.
Now with Gambling Commission regulation from 1st September 2007 staff should ‘interact’ with customers who they recognise as having a problem with their gambling. All staff that work in the industry should be equipped and ready to react to any customers who request help or who admit that they’re in trouble with their gambling.
It is important for every member of staff to have awareness training simply because a customer in trouble with their gaming may well approach a non-gaming member of staff with whom to share their issues.
Also to achieve GamCare certification an online gambling business operator should implemente the following practices:
- Age verification systems;
- Controls for customer spend;
- Reality checks within game screens;
- Self-exclusion options for players;
- Information about responsible gambling and sources of advice and support;
- Training for customer services in problem gambling and social responsibility;
- Consultation with GamCare when developing new technologies and products;
- Support for the work GamCare carries out in addressing the social impact of gambling.
To get more information, please, visit http://www.gamcare.org.uk/.